One of Monterey Regional Airport's strategic priorities is to invest in sustainable initiatives, making this strategy part of the Airport's every-day operations and overall decision-making process. See below for a list of our sustainable practices and accomplishments.
VARIOUS SUSTAINABLE PRACTICES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS INCLUDE:
- 1999 – One all-electric maintenance vehicle was purchased.
- 2004 – Airfield lighting was upgraded with energy-efficient LED lights on taxiways and pilot-controlled lighting (PCL) for Runway 10R-28L.
- 2008 – Recycling program was initiated in passenger terminal building.
- 2009 – Energy-efficient upgrades were installed in the passenger terminal for all inside light fixtures.
- 2010 – Passenger terminal restrooms were equipped with motion-sensor fixtures that reduce water usage.
- 2010 – Energy-efficient upgrades were made to street lights on all Airport owned roadways.
- 2010 – Flight Information Display Systems were installed that include energy-rated display screens, and use smart software to power each screen on and off individually, and as appropriate as customer traffic dictates.
- 2011 – Energy-efficient film was installed on passenger terminal windows and doors, designed to reduce the termal heat index of the building by eliminating 77% of the Solar Energy into the building.
- 2012 – Energy-efficient lighting was installed in all Airport vehicle parking and airfield ramp areas.
- 2012 – Three Level 2 Electric Vehicle charging stations were installed for customer use.
- 2012 – Bicycle storage containers were added to promote alternative travel methods to the Airport.
- 2015 – Two electric vehicles were acquired for Airport staff use, replacing two gas fueled vehicles.
- 2015 – One Electric maintenance cart was acquired, replacing one gas fueled vehicle.
- 2015 – A Draft Airport Sustainability Plan was developed as part of a Draft Airport Master Plan included as Appendix D, That Draft Plan is currently undergoing Environmental review.
- 2016 – A New Airfield Sweeper was purchased. This acquisition replaces of a fifteen year old machine with a new machine that meets current CARB requirements.
- 2017 – The Board for the Airport approved the Installation of a Solar Photovoltaic Electric Generating System. Installation is anticipated to be completed by July 31, 2017,
In August 2011, the AMBAG Board of Directors recognized the Monterey Regional Airport with an Energy Efficiency Leadership Award in recognition of Innovation in Energy Efficiency for the fantastic work accomplished at the airport to maximize energy efficiency. By participating in Energy Watch and RIGHTLIGHTS Energy Efficiency Program, the Airport was acknowledged for taking a leadership role in the region demonstrating how to better manage energy use, reduce operating costs, and help protect the environment.